Applying for danish benefis

Applying for danish benefis

In Denmark, as in many developed countries, there is an extensive social support system that includes a variety of benefits to support people in various aspects of life. Whether you need unemployment benefits, sickness support, parental care or any other type of assistance, with us you will find information on the different types of benefits offered in Denmark and the steps to obtain them.

We ensure that we provide you with the necessary knowledge of the qualifying criteria and support in the process of completing any application for benefits in Denmark.

Types of applications for benefits in Denmark

There are several different types of applications for benefits in Denmark, depending on the needs and situation of a particular person. Some of the most common applications include:

  1. Application for family allowance (børnecheck)
  2. Application for social benefits (kontanthjælp)
  3. Application for maternity benefit
  4. Application for unemployment benefit (dagpenge)
  5. Application for sickness benefit (sygedagpenge)
  6. Application for housing benefit

Application for family allowance in Denmark

Family allowance in Denmark, also known as børnecheck, is available to all legally employed persons who have a minor child or children. If you are legally employed in Denmark, you are entitled to receive child benefit for children under the age of 18 on the same basis as Danish citizens. There is no requirement that the children reside in Denmark. It is sufficient that one parent works in Denmark, either seasonally or permanently. The amount of the benefit is tax-free and depends on the amount of time worked in Denmark or another European Union country, the age of the child (younger children receive higher benefits) and the annually determined rates. The benefit is paid quarterly, and when the child reaches the age of 15, it is received monthly.

How do I apply for child benefit in Denmark?
You can apply to Udbetaling Danmark online by logging in with your NemID, which requires a certificate of residence and employment in Denmark and a translated birth certificate for the child. Those who do not have a NemID can still apply online at, but will need to sign and scan an additional form containing basic information about the benefit.

To apply for the benefit, legal employment in Denmark, a CPR number and a tax card are required. All paperwork is done at the so-called Socialcenter, located in the appropriate municipality according to your place of residence. After obtaining the E 401 and E 411 forms and the return address at the Socialcenter, send these documents to the spouse. They will be the one to handle most of the paperwork at the Regional Social Policy Center appropriate to their place of residence. This center will fill out and forward the completed documents to Denmark, while the spouse must provide the necessary attachments, such as an abbreviated copy of the marriage certificate, abbreviated copies of the children’s birth certificates and a certificate from the municipality or city office confirming the permanent registration in country of the spouse and children, information on the spouse’s income and information on whether he or she is receiving family allowance and its amount.

Once all documents have been delivered to the Regional Social Policy Center, they are verified on-site and sent to the appropriate Socialcenter in Denmark. Once the documents have been sent, it is necessary to appear at Socialcenter with the employment contract and three pay statements. Socialcenter branches cooperate with Regional Social Policy Centers, so the completed documents are sent from Your country through them.

The process of applying for benefits at your local municipality – Socialcenter – Required documents include:

  • E 401 and E 411 forms, which can be obtained from the office,
  • work and residence permit (Opholds-og arbejtstilladelse),
  • a CPR number
  • a yellow health care entitlement card, which can be obtained by obtaining a CPR number,
  • an abbreviated marriage certificate,
  • abbreviated birth certificate of the child/children,
  • information about the children’s registration in Your country and any other benefits – in case the other parent is staying with the children there,
  • tax card,
  • a copy of the employment contract and the last three paycheck statements.
  • The time it takes to process an application for family benefits in Denmark ranges from 6 to as long as 12 months.

The amount paid depends on the annual rates set, the age of the child and the length of employment or residence in Denmark or the European Union. In general, the older the child, the lower the benefit.

Example rates per child depending on age:

  • 0-2 years: 5,124 kroner per quarter
  • 3-6 years: 4,056 kroner per quarter
  • 7-14 years: 3,192 kroner per quarter
  • 15-17 years: 1,064 crowns per month

Benefits for children aged 0 to 14 are paid quarterly, that is:

  • for the time from 01.10 to 31.12 – January 20.
  • for the time from 01.01 to 31.03 – April 20.
  • for the time from 01.04 to 30.06 – July 20.
  • for the time from 01.07 to 30.09 – October 20.

On the other hand, benefits for young people between the ages of 15 and 18 are paid on the 20th of each month.

How do you get child benefit in Denmark?
In order to receive family allowance, certain requirements must be met. Those eligible for the benefit are caring for a child to whom they are related. Even if the child of an EU citizen does not live in Denmark, it is possible to apply for the benefit, but it is necessary to submit an application to Udbetaling Danmark. The amount of benefits for foreigners depends mainly on the time worked: the right to benefits is obtained after 6 months, and full entitlement can be obtained after 6 years. Benefits are paid to the parent’s NemKonto, which is a regular bank account that is declared as an account for receiving transfers from state institutions.

What are the requirements?
Child and youth benefit will be automatically provided to you if:

  • you reside in Denmark
  • you are subject to full taxation in Denmark
  • your child is under 18 years of age
  • your child resides in Denmark (contact Udbetaling Danmark if residing abroad for an extended period)
  • your child is not receiving public support
  • your child is not married.

If you’re a foreign national residing in Denmark, you can seek child benefit provided you meet these criteria:

  • you share custody of the child;
  • you can provide documentation of the familial relationship;
  • you reside in Denmark or are a citizen of an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, or Liechtenstein;
  • you must have resided or worked within the Danish Realm, including Denmark, the Faroe Islands, or Greenland, within the last 10 years to qualify for child and youth benefit.

Worth remembering:

  1. If the above dates fall on a non-working day or holiday, benefits are paid on the preceding working day.
  2. If the child was born in Denmark, you do not need to take any action, the benefit will be paid automatically.
  3. If the children live in EU country, you must apply for the benefit yourself, attaching the relevant documents, such as:
    • a copy of the employment contract in Denmark,
    • birth certificate of the child or children,
    • confirmation of cohabitation.

How long does it take to process an application?
According to information made available by the Danish office, the waiting time for processing incoming applications is up to 33 weeks on average. In addition, the Danish office contacts the relevant office in Your country to verify the information. It is usually the waiting for a response from the office in Your country that takes the most time, so be patient.

After the office verifies and accepts the application, the decision is sent to the e-box, or if the person does not have access to MitID, the decision is sent by traditional mail. It is also worth noting that the office calculates the family benefit up to 3 years back (if the person worked in Denmark during that time).

Application for social benefits in Denmark

If you are legally residing in Denmark and find yourself unable to sustain yourself financially, you may qualify for cash benefits or similar forms of assistance. Residents of Denmark who are facing financial hardship may be eligible for assistance from their local municipality. The specific benefits you might qualify for will be determined by factors such as your age, educational background, and duration of residency in the country.

To qualify for assistance, you must fulfill the following criteria:

  • You must have experienced a significant change in your living situation, such as illness, unemployment, or the end of a cohabitation arrangement.
  • This change must have resulted in an inability to meet the essential needs of yourself or your family, and you are not receiving sufficient support from other sources.
  • Your financial needs cannot be met through other benefits, such as unemployment benefits or a pension.
  • Additionally, it’s important to note that there is a maximum limit on the total amount you can receive if you are already receiving one of the aforementioned benefits and simultaneously receive special support and/or housing allowance.

Any person who legally resides and works in Denmark can apply for social benefits and allowances. It should be noted that a person must legally reside in Denmark – this primarily involves:

  • employment under an employment contract,
  • having a CPR number,
  • registering in the place of residence,
  • having a residence permit (if your stay in Denmark exceeds 6 months).

In the case of seasonal work, which lasts up to 3 months, the employee does not need to meet additional formalities.

If you’re a Danish citizen who has lived in another EU/EEA country for over a year and require assistance from public authorities upon returning home, specific regulations are in place.

Who can apply for social benefits in Denmark?
The best chances of receiving this type of support are for people who show the prospect of improving their life situation with the benefit. In the case of an emergency need for financial support, this assistance can be granted on short notice, even in a few days.

How to get a social allowance in Denmark?
To apply for social benefits in Denmark, you must first contact your local municipality – Socialcenter. There you can get the necessary information on the application procedure and the required documents.

How to Apply?
You can apply for benefits either through self-service on or directly through your municipality. Detailed information regarding eligibility criteria, rates, etc., can be found on

Within one week of your initial contact with the municipality for assistance, you will be scheduled for your first interview. During this interview, the job center will evaluate whether you are ready for employment or other activities.

If the job center determines that you can enter the workforce shortly, you will be considered job-ready and must be available for employment opportunities. If it’s assessed that you are not ready for employment in the short term, you will be considered activity-ready.

It is worth checking that you have all the important documents, such as:

  • identity card,
  • documents confirming your financial situation,
  • information on employment and income, and
  • other documents that may be required depending on your personal situation.

After gathering the necessary documents, an appointment should be made at the Socialcenter, where a needs assessment will be conducted and an application for social benefits will be submitted. Socialcenter applicants can also receive assistance and support in completing the application from the office staff.

To receive temporary financial assistance from, it is not enough to simply demonstrate a low income. It is crucial to present a coherent plan for the future to improve your financial situation, and the allowance will only support you in implementing this plan or surviving a difficult period. recognizes this type of assistance as a last resort and only grants it when other options have already been exhausted.

A necessary condition for receiving the social allowance is that you legally reside in Denmark and have a permanent place of residence. You cannot receive this benefit while residing in another country. Sample forms for applying for social welfare benefits may vary from one Danish municipality to another. If you need help in obtaining and filling out the appropriate application, please contact us, we will be happy to assist you.

Application for maternity benefits in Denmark

Women have the opportunity to apply for maternity benefits as long as they have been in Denmark for at least 6 weeks and have legal employment. Expectant mothers begin collecting the benefit one month before the planned date of delivery, continuing for another 24 weeks after the birth of the child. The amount of the benefit is determined individually based on income. The maximum amount of the benefit is 3113 crowns per week.

To apply for maternity benefits in Denmark, follow these steps:

  1. Gather the required documents: Before applying, make sure you have all the required documents, such as:
  2. CPR number (Danish personal identity).
  3. Employment contract or other proof of employment.
  4. Details of the date of delivery.
  5. Contact your employer: Notify your employer of your planned maternity leave and the benefits you plan to receive. Your employer can provide you with the necessary information and documents to confirm your employment.
  6. Apply: Apply for maternity benefits at your local labor office (Arbejdsforhold). You can do this in person, online or by mail. Make sure you fill out the application form the right way and attach all necessary documents.
  7. Expect a response: After submitting your application, wait for the authority to process it. This may take several weeks. In the meantime, you may be asked to provide additional documents or information.
  8. Receive your benefit: If your application is approved, you will receive your maternity benefit in your bank account or in the form of a postal check according to the preference indicated in your application.

Application for unemployment benefits in Denmark

In the event of sudden loss of employment, unemployment benefits can be claimed by those who have been members of the unemployment fund for at least a year and paid contributions (the contribution rate is 8% of salary, paid by the employer). An additional requirement is to have worked at least 52 weeks in the past 3 years for full insurance or 32 weeks for partial insurance.

To receive the benefit, it is necessary to register with the office as soon as possible after losing your job. The amount of the benefit depends on the last salary and can be up to 90% of its amount. The benefit can be collected for a maximum of four years. On average, the daily unemployment benefit in Denmark is about DKK 600-700.

Voluntary unemployment insurance is available in Denmark. To take advantage of this option, you must independently enroll in an unemployment insurance fund, usually run by trade unions.

Where to apply for unemployment benefit
If you find yourself unemployed, you should apply for unemployment benefit in the country of your residence. This applies even if you have previously worked in another Nordic country.  If you have worked in Denmark but currently reside in another Nordic country, consult the relevant page for information on obtaining unemployment benefit in your country of residence.

Who can apply for unemployment benefits in Denmark?
It is worth noting that this benefit is not available to everyone. To apply for it, it is necessary to meet several conditions, which must occur simultaneously. The absence of any of these conditions will prevent you from receiving financial support.

A person applying for unemployment benefits in Denmark must be a member of an unemployment fund. However, it is important that membership in the fund last for at least a year, and during this period the person must have worked a minimum of 1924 hours. It is also necessary to pay regular contributions. In addition, to join such a fund, the following criteria must be met:

  • be between 18 and 63 years of age,
  • reside in Denmark,
  • be employed and paid in Denmark.

So how does one formally join an insurance fund? It is necessary to fill out the appropriate form at the fund corresponding to your profession or level of education.

To qualify for Danish unemployment benefit, you must meet the following criteria, as detailed on

  • Register as a job-seeker at your local job center starting from the first day of your unemployment.
  • Have been a member of an unemployment insurance fund for a minimum of one year.
  • Have filed tax returns indicating a certain level of income over the past three years.
  • Be available for employment.
  • Ensure your CV is complete and approved within two weeks of registering as unemployed at the job center.

To apply for unemployment benefits in Denmark, follow the steps below:

  1. Gather the required documents: Before applying, make sure you have all the necessary documents, such as:
  2. CPR number (Danish personal identity).
  3. Employment contract or other documents proving your employment and period of employment.
  4. Information regarding your status as an unemployed person, including proof of registration with the labor office (Arbejdsformidlingen).
  5. Contact the labor office: Make an appointment with your local labor office or use their online platform to apply for unemployment benefits. In person or online, you will receive instructions on how to fill out the application and information on the documents you need to attach.
  6. Fill out the application form: Fill out the unemployment claim form with all the required information. Make sure you provide accurate information about your financial and employment situation.
  7. Attach required documents: Attach all required documents to your application, such as employment contracts, employment certificates, proof of registration with the labor office, etc.
  8. Submit your application: After completing the application form and attaching the documents, submit your application to the labor office of your choice in person or through their online platform.
  9. Await a response: After submitting your application, wait for the labor office to process it. The procedure may take some time.
  10. Monitor the status of your application: Regularly check the status of your application to ensure that it has been processed and that there are no additional documents that need to be provided.
  11. Receive your benefits: If your application is approved, you will receive your unemployment benefits in your bank account or by other designated means. Make sure you keep track of payment dates and provide any necessary documents as needed.

Dagpenge allowance is paid by a relief fund. Procedures may vary slightly depending on the specific organization, but most often all that is required is the submission of an application and the fulfillment of the conditions mentioned above. In general, the benefit can be collected for a period of 2 years, but there is a possibility of extension.

Can Danish unemployment benefit be transferred to another nordic country?
Under specific circumstances, you can bring your Danish unemployment benefit to another Nordic country for a period of up to three months while seeking employment there, with the exception of Greenland.

To be eligible:

  • You must be a national of an EEA country or Switzerland.
  • You must have resided in Denmark up until your departure.
  • You must be a member of an unemployment insurance fund.
  • You must be entitled to unemployment benefits at the time of departure.
  • You must have been registered as fully unemployed at your job centre for at least four weeks prior to your planned departure.
  • You must apply for a PD U2 certificate from your unemployment insurance fund before leaving, but no earlier than four weeks prior to your planned departure date.
  • In some cases, you may be exempt from the requirement of being registered at the job center for four weeks. Further details can be found at

The PD U2 certificate verifies your entitlement to a specified duration of unemployment benefit. To access the benefit, you must enroll with the employment service in the country you’ve traveled to within seven days of the certificate’s start date. Failure to do so will initiate your unemployment benefit from the day you register with the employment service.

Application for sickness benefit in Denmark

If your employer has established collective bargaining agreements with the unions and you have worked there for at least three months, you are entitled to be paid while sick. Even if you have suffered an accident at work, you are entitled to sick pay, regardless of the length of your employment with the company.

However, a prerequisite is that you meet the criteria for entitlement to sick pay, in accordance with current legislation.

The amount and period of payment of wages during sickness depend on the arrangements in collective bargaining agreements. For more information on this subject, it is advisable to consult a trade union.

Health insurance
If your employer has not signed a collective bargaining agreement with the unions, or if you have not worked for your employer for at least three months, an alternative may be to receive sick pay from the state. This type of benefit is paid by the municipality and is lower than the sick pay stipulated in collective bargaining agreements.

To claim sick pay in Denmark, you must meet certain requirements:

  • Working at least 240 hours in Denmark in the last 6 full calendar months preceding the first day of illness, with 5 of those months requiring you to work at least 40 hours in each month. Of course, if you suffered an injury at work, these criteria will not apply.
  • If you have suffered an accident at work, you are entitled to sickness benefits from the first day of illness, even if you do not meet the above conditions. However, payment of this benefit is only possible if the work accident is recognized by the Labor Market Insurance (Arbejdsmarkedets Erhvervssikring). The application process can be time-consuming.

How will you receive sickness benefits?
To receive sickness benefits, your employer must provide information about your illness electronically (nemrefusion). You will receive digital correspondence on the e-box, to which you must respond and forward it to the municipality within 8 days of receipt.

To apply for sickness benefits in Denmark, follow these steps:

  1. Report your illness to your employer: First, notify your employer of your illness. This notification is important for both you and your employer so that they can take appropriate steps regarding your absence due to illness.
  2. Gather the required documents: Before applying for sickness benefits, make sure you have all the necessary documents, such as:
  3. CPR number (Danish personal identity).
  4. Information regarding your illness, such as a medical diagnosis and other medical documents.
  5. Information regarding your employment, such as your employment contract or other documents proving your employment.
  6. Submit an application to your labor office: Contact your local labor office (Arbejdsformidlingen) or other appropriate office to apply for sickness benefits. You can do this in person, by phone or through their online platform.
  7. Fill out the application form: Fill out the sickness benefit claim form with all the required information regarding your illness, employment and other relevant details.
  8. Attach required documents: Attach all required documents to your application, such as a medical diagnosis, a certificate of inability to work from your doctor, and documents proving your employment.
  9. Submit the application: After completing the application form and attaching the documents, submit the application to the labor office of your choice in person, by phone or through their online platform.
  10. Wait for a response: After submitting your application, wait for the labor office to process it. The procedure may take some time.
  11. Monitor the status of your application: Regularly check the status of your application to ensure that it has been processed and that there are no additional documents that need to be provided.
  12. Receive your benefit: If your application is approved, you will receive your sick pay in your bank account or by other designated means. Make sure you keep track of payment dates and provide any necessary documents as needed.

Who pays the sickness benefit?
If you have been employed by your employer for at least 8 weeks and worked at least 74 hours during those 8 weeks, your employer is required to pay sick pay to your account for the first 30 sick days. If you do not meet this requirement, the municipality will deposit the money into your account.

Application for housing benefit in Denmark

Housing benefit is financial assistance available to assist with rent payments for accommodations equipped with a private kitchen or kitchenette. Eligibility for housing benefit extends to individuals residing in Denmark, regardless of the duration of their stay. However, to qualify for housing benefit, applicants must demonstrate permanent residency at the address for which they are seeking assistance. The housing benefit is exempt from taxation. Housing benefits are managed by Udbetaling Danmark – Public Benefits Administration.

If you’re renting a residence with your own kitchen or kitchenette, you may be eligible for housing benefits.

The amount of housing benefits you receive is determined by various factors, including:

  • Your rent, excluding expenses like electricity, water, and heating.
  • The size of that rental property in square meters.
  • The number of adults and children in your household.
  • The income and assets of the adults residing in the home.
  • Whether you’re a senior citizen or a pensioner with a disability.
  • Other relevant considerations.

You can apply for housing benefits even if your stay in Denmark is temporary. However, to qualify for housing benefits, you must reside permanently at the address for which you’re seeking assistance.

In cases of cohabitation
If multiple individuals reside together, only one person is eligible to receive housing benefits. These benefits will be disbursed to either the applicant or the housing organization, which will then subtract the amount from the rent.

In instances of shared living arrangements, all occupants except the applicant must sign as jointly and severally liable. This implies that each adult in the household bears legal responsibility for repayment if excess housing benefits are received. This obligation is applicable only during the period of cohabitation.

Housing benefit is disbursed on the initial workday of each month.

How do I receive my housing benefit?
Your housing benefit will be transferred directly to your NemKonto. In the case of social tenant housing, the benefit can be transferred directly to your housing organization, which will then adjust your rent accordingly.

Following the processing of your application, Udbetaling Danmark will issue a letter detailing the payment process. It’s essential to inform Udbetaling Danmark of any changes that could affect your housing benefits

For example:

  • if your rent increases or decreases
  • if there are changes in your assets
  • if your self-employment income or foreign income fluctuates
  • if you take on a tenant
  • if you relocate
  • if someone moves into or out of your residence
  • if a household member passes away
  • if you become a homeowner through a housing cooperative or gain full ownership
  • if you reside in the property for less than half of your tenancy period.

Your entitlement to housing benefits ceases on the day you no longer reside in the property.

If you are contacting Udbetaling Danmark on behalf of someone else, including if you are married or cohabiting but your name is not listed on the housing benefits application, you will require power of attorney.

Upon retirement, Udbetaling Danmark will be automatically informed of your status change, including any adjustments required for housing benefits. There is no need for you to directly inform Udbetaling Danmark about this transition. Subsequently, you will receive a notification containing the updated calculation of your housing benefits. Once you start receiving benefits from Udbetaling Danmark, it becomes your responsibility to report any alterations in your circumstances and changes. This entails promptly informing Udbetaling Danmark of any changes that may affect the benefits you are currently receiving or applying for.

Your housing benefit is contingent upon your income. At the end of each month, Udbetaling Danmark assesses whether you have received the entitled housing benefit. This evaluation relies on income data provided by The Danish Tax Agency.

Monthly, Udbetaling Danmark reevaluates your housing benefit in response to any income adjustments. If these changes result in an overpayment or underpayment of your housing benefit, the corresponding amount will be automatically adjusted in the following month’s payment. Your housing benefit is recalculated annually. Adjustments to your housing benefit occur only if your monthly income fluctuates by more than DKK 800, resulting in a housing benefit change exceeding DKK 200.

Consequently, your housing benefit undergoes an annual recalculation, encompassing all minor adjustments. Udbetaling Danmark will subsequently issue a letter detailing your housing benefit statement for the entire year.

If you cease employment, it could impact your housing benefit. Upon resigning or losing your job, your employer will transfer your holiday pay to FerieKonto, which will also be reported to The Danish Tax Authority. Consequently, the holiday income will be considered as income for the month, even if you haven’t received the funds yet. As a result, your housing benefit may decrease during that period. However, once you receive the holiday pay later on, it will not count as income.

While receiving housing benefit, you’ll regularly receive letters from Udbetaling Danmark. These correspondences will be in Danish, so if you don’t understand Danish, it’s advisable to seek translation assistance from a friend or acquaintance. Alternatively, you can always contact Udbetaling Danmark directly if you have any queries.

If you’re reaching out to Udbetaling Danmark on behalf of another person, you must have the appropriate authorization. This requirement also applies if you’re cohabiting and need assistance from Udbetaling Danmark regarding your case.If another individual plans to communicate with Udbetaling Danmark on your behalf, you must provide them with written authorization.

Digital Power of Attorney Submission
You can digitally grant another individual the authority to represent you. This allows them to discuss, receive information about, or assume full responsibility for your case. You have the option to provide authorization specifically for housing benefits or for multiple other areas handled by Udbetaling Danmark. However, this authorization does not grant access to digital self-service functions.

Obtaining a Power of Attorney
If the individual seeking to grant you authorization does not have MitID, you can utilize a written letter of authorization. This form can be completed digitally or by hand, and it must be signed by the person conferring the authority.

If you possess a signed letter of authorization from a housing benefits recipient, you can submit the document digitally. If you’re using a mobile phone, you can simply take a photo of the letter and attach it. However, please note that this authorization does not grant access to digital self-service functions.

Alternatively, you can mail the letter of authorization to Udbetaling Danmark at Kongens Vænge 8, 3400 Hillerød. Keep in mind that it may take up to a week for Udbetaling Danmark to receive the letter.

If you have received an excess amount in housing benefits, you are required to reimburse Udbetaling Danmark – Public Benefits Administration.

If you are required to refund money, it could be due to the following reasons:

  • Changes in your income
  • Moving to a new address where you are no longer eligible for the same level of housing benefits
  • Alterations in the total household income.
  • To refund Udbetaling Danmark, you will receive a notification letter specifying the amount owed and the reasons behind it. Upon receiving this letter, you have the option to repay the full sum in one installment by transferring the funds to Udbetaling Danmark’s bank account.